I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sullivan Street Tea & Spice Co.

Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: You can never have enough peppercorns

Sullivan Street Tea & Spice Company has an interesting history. It is not because of the stuff they are selling but it is actually the space they are occupying. Before it was transformed into a gourmet tea and spice shop, it was originally the Triangle Social Club, a stronghold for the mafia back in the knee-capping and cement shoes days. Showing how much New York has changed, what was once a spot for illegal activity is now a place where you can pick up a couple of ounces of a nice proprietary blend of an English breakfast tea. Plus Starbucks is apparently the new place for illegal activity and espionage because caramel frappes are the perfect drink to have while committing high treason.

Not only do I like eating, I do like cooking and stuff because it is fun, tasty, a required life skill and an easy way to impress girls. I am always on the lookout for spices and although I am not a avid hardcore tea drinker, I do like tea and I am also on the look out for new teas. Walking into the Sullivan Street Tea & Spice I am reminded of an apothecary and I have the sudden urge to make a potion of some sort. The walls and shelves are just lined with jars of spices and teas. The space is open and the walls are white making it comfortable as you browse through the jars. The store is basically split down the middle and half the store is teas and the half the store is spices. They have a good range of spices that range on the basics and a surprising amount of whole peppercorns. Not only do they have spices but they have spice blends such as jerk seasons or Herb de Provence which I picked up an ounce of. Their Herb de Provence blend is fragrant and robust and would be a great addition to a rub or as i used it on foccaccia. They have a good selection of salts which is something I did not really get a good look at but when I need a salt refill I will most definitely come here in restocking salt.


The tea selections is ample and not only do they blends and your basics, they have a selection of floral teas such as hibiscus and chrysanthemum tea. They are more than eager to help you out and answer any questions you might have. The spices and teas as sold by the ounce, which mean that you can buy as much or as little as you want and not be stuck with 10 ounces of dried parsley, I mean seriously McCormick, how much parsley does one person need?


Sullivan Street Tea & Spice Company
208 Sullivan St 
New York, NY 10012 

No comments:

Post a Comment