I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Panna Cotta with an Apple Cinnamon Compote and Spiced Pecans


Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: Immersion Blender can solve more than 50% of cooking problems

Panna Cotta is a dessert that unfortunately has been abused too much by too many restaurants. Panna Cotta is  an Italian originated dessert that is like a creamy jello and is quite simple to make. Actually, to compare it to jello would be insulting. The only thing that it has in common with jello is the use of gelatin. A Panna Cotta is delicate and when unmolded from a ramekin, it should be barely standing up, the only reason for gelatin is so it can be plated. Panna Cotta should taste light and creamy and smooth. When you put that first spoonful in your mouth, and press it in between the roof of your mouth and tongue, it should just melt and dissolve, fully embodying your mouth with awesome flavor.

This recipe I found when I realized that I had some sweet potatoes I needed to use up. I missed Thanksgiving, which would generally make me angry, but I went back to Taiwan so I was able to still experience full gluttony. However, I missed the Thankgiving-y like flavors when I got back and as much as I like pie, well not like, LOVE pie, I didn't have any pie dough on hand and pure laziness prevented me from making some. I came across this recipe for a Sweet Potato Panna Cotta that was created by Christina Tosi of Momofuku Milk Bar. This recipe for a  Sweet Potato Panna Cotta is great because it is simple and love the fact that she uses condensed milk, which brings a subtle sweetness and allows the sweetness of the Sweet Potato Panna Cotta to shine. She pairs it with a cranberry sauce and cinnamon toast croutons but since i did not have any of those, I just did an Apple Cinnamon Compote with a Spiced Pecans.


Pure laziness, I decided to not unmold but it is fairly easy to do so, simply fill a large bowl with warm water and dip the ramekin in there for about 20 seconds. After that, run a butter knife along the edge and flip it on the plate. If it does not come out in one perfect piece its fine, just tell people you were going for the "rustic" look.




Recipe can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment