I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Porchetta NYC

Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: You can never have enough cracklings on a porchetta sandwich

 The Church of Pork 




Anybody that has been reading my verbal vomit knows that I have a love, obsession with pork. Not just some amateur, “yeah, bacon is great!”, it is more like if I had to choose one meat to live off of for the rest of my life, I would not have to think about it and it would me pork. I love to eat every part and when they say nose to tail eating, I will eat every part from the nose to tail. The Tail by the way, its pretty good when it is fried up. So it seemed obvious to me that I have to go and get a sandwich from a place like Porchetta. Porchetta, owned by Chef Sara Jenkins is a minimalist shop that has maybe about six stools and is more or less a takeout joint. What they lack in seating and space, they make up in their Porchetta. Porchetta is an Italian, roasted rolled boneless pork shoulder that is slow roasted to perfection. The skin is left on to slowly baste the meat and achieves a ultra crispness. The menu is small and you can either get the porchetta served as a sandwich or as a platter with sides that I have unfortunately yet to try.

These are the good kind of Fat Rolls you want to have


There are a couple of things that I learned from getting a sandwich here:

  1. For optimum pork juiciness and freshness, get here when they open
  2. If you want extra skin in sandwich, you have to be very insistent to a point of being almost an asshole (I am sorry for acting a bit of an asshole but I want cracklings dude!)
  3. This sandwich is best eating within the hour if it survives that long. If the counter is full, go eat it at Thompson park
  4. If you are a big eater like me, ordering sandwiches in pairs is a good idea
Porchetta Sandwich like whoa

The sandwich like the shop is minimal. There is not sauce, not vegetables it is just the pork on a crusty, chewy ciabatta loaf from Grandaisy bakery. What is lacks in condiments and sides, it makes up with the succulent pork. Biting into this sandwich is a texture trip. The chewy, crispy bread is assaulted by the hard and crunchy skin. First bite you come to a screeching halt because the crunchy skin assaults you to a point where you are confused because it is so unexpected, but as you continue eating the crackling skin disperse and mixes in with the juicy and soft pork.

 Bread and Pork. That's all you need. Well, more cracklings, i ate all of them before finishing this half

Sandwiches at Porchetta have often been criticized as being overtly dry and plain. However, the times that I have tried the porchetta has been made to order and not dry at all. Although a condiment is something that many desire, I make the argument that the quality of the pork and the bread is more than enough and it is true to the style of Italian cuisine in the usage of minimal ingredients and letting a good product shine in which Porchetta does.

Porchetta
110 East 7th Street
New York, NY 10009-6108
http://www.porchettanyc.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment