I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ample Hills Creamery

Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: Despite the inevitable melted mess, ice cream taste a bit better in a cone


No matter how old I am I will always end up with a runny line of sticky, sweet ice cream running down my hand. I should know better given how old I am, but anyway I eat it, I end up with hands of a five year old. But ice cream from Ample Hill Creamery is ice cream that should be eaten out of the cone. Made fresh daily and with local ingredients Ample Hill Creamery is just one of many frozen confection shops opening in New York this summer which is seeing a boom in all things ice cream, if duck is the new pork, ice cream is the new…uhh screw it I can’t think of an analogy. 

Ample Hills is colorful, not just in a figurative way and describing their confections, I mean physically, it is colorful, I believe they hit every Crayola Color spectrum and with a little play area in the back of the shop, it feels like a Day Care center. Besides the kid-friendly decor, Ample Hill Creamery is distinguishing itself with playful and tasty concoctions that Ben & Jerry’s wished they could have come up with first such as the one of their most intriguing ones, the Breakfast Trash which has breakfast cereal incorporated in it. Not like old people cereal like shredded wheat or muesli, more like a 7th year college senior breakfast of frosted flakes, Captain Crunch, Sugar Pops and Fruit Loops. Although I do not partake in the inhalation of leafy greens, I had to sample it and although seems a bit catchy, it tasted pretty good. The only thing that I did not like is that the Fruit Loops do not fare well to the freezing process to well and they get a bit gummy but other than that, it is a tasty ice cream. 

After much thought and tasting, I settled with the Salted Crack Caramel and the Baked/Unbaked.   The Salted crack caramel, salted butter caramel ice cream with their “crack” cookie composed of saltine, butter sugar and chocolate. Buttery, sweet saltiness with crunch bits played straight into my love for salty sweet combinations. The Baked/Unbaked is vanilla ice cream base with baked chocolate chip cookies and unbaked cookie dough and this combination is the cookie making process, all in one ice cream tub. The crunchy cookie bits with dough cookie dough made a tasty combination. Although it may seem like the ice cream flavors at Ample Hill can seem, quirky and gimmicky, one taste of their smooth ice cream will dispel any thoughts that they are not making a some serious ice cream. Ample Hills is a must stop for all ice cream eaters and with their multiple daily flavors and new ice cream in the works, your palette will never get bored again.

Salted Crack Caramel on top, Baked/Unbaked on the bottom, party all around

Ample Hills Creamery
623 Vanderbilt Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238
www.amplehills.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment