I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Molly's Cupcakes: Chi-Town Sweets in Nyc

Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: Do not judge me old lady for eating cupcakes at 11:30am when you are chowing down on a Faccio's Italian Hoagie (though I would not mind eating that either)


Anybody that says that the cupcakes trend is dying is a liar and eats a lot less sugar than I do. With the opening of Sprinkles a couple months ago and according to reports is doing great business from my sister’s frequents visits, it opened up the door for other cupcake operations to see if they go Sinatra and make it in New York. Enter Molly’s Cupcakes, which I found out later is no Molly, but there is a Johnny. 
Molly’s Cupcakes is from Chicago and just opened up recently on Bleeker Street. I can hear the groans from people, another cupcake place? Sigh. The amount of bakeries opening up, if there is ever a ban on sugar, the GDP of New York will drop like a rock within a day.

There are so many places that are established, Molly’s Cupcakes needs to bring their “A” game and if it is like AJ Burnett’s pitching, they are screwed, they need like, a Cliff Lee kind of a game to stand out and yes, I am purposely making sports references in order to pretend I know a good amount of sports and to make me seem manlier when talking about sugary and colorful confections. Cavity Induced Sweets after the Jump

Great box design, cubby holes for cupcake

Molly’s not only has their own creation of cupcakes, they follow the Butterlane Cupcake menu model in which you can create your own cupcake and adds the kicker of a sprinkles bar that they can either do for you or as I was asked if I wanted to do myself (I had them do it for me).

Sprinkle station

I created my own of a chocolate cupcake base and a brown butter frosting. Breaking it down, the cake was rich and moist and was good enough to be eaten on its own and the brown butter frosting is the way to go for everything in my opinion. The nuttiness from the brown butter is uncomparable and does come through. Although I could have gone further and got added toppings and later found out I could have gotten the cupcake filled. The cake to frosting ratio, which is something as a cupcake consumer is something that is important in judging a cupcake is balanced and just enough and the filled cupcakes do a great imitation of a layered cake. As for the cake, which is the most important part of the cupcake, it was moist and heavy in chocolate flavor. The cake could stand on its own and the addition of the frosting, just makes it even better.

Chocolate cake and brown butter buttercream
The signature cupcakes that Molly’s Cupcakes are creating are something that is worth getting and I settled with the Ron Bennington (named after famed comedian, thanks Wiki!) and the Peach Cobbler. Both of these are filled cupcakes which I highly suggest one should get. The Ron Bennington is a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling, a chocolate ganache, crushed butterscotch topping which is their number one seller in Chi-town and appeals to the chocolate peanut butter crowd, meaning me. This is one of those cupcakes that makes me feel a bit guilty eating just because this is just the epitome of the chocolate peanut butter and I am pretty sure it ruined Reese's for me.

Ron Bennington

The peach cobbler is a vanilla cake with a cinnamon peach puree fill, brown sugar streusel topping with a homemade whipped cream. This cupcake almost seemed like a combination of a muffin and a cupcake and the most socially acceptable one that one can house for breakfast without getting judgmental stares (what am I saying, you are still going to be judged for eating cupcakes in the morning). The streusel topping, which was more like a crunchy shell on top of the cupcake paired nicely with the whipped cream adding lightness and prevented sugary overload, which I found out is unpreventable if you eat three cupcakes all at once by yourself. 

Peach Cobbler
Of what I tasted, Molly’s Cupcakes is not messing around here and are making some good cupcakes and I hope the best for them. Although New York needs more cupcake shops like Zukerberg needs another Facebook friend, I am Adam Smith when it comes to food, meaning let there be 50 more cupcake shops, its great for sugar fiends like me and from the moments of time I paid attention in Economics class, the market will adjust itself accordingly and the strong will stay in business and I hope nothing but the best for Molly’s Cupcake, but I will not be sprinkling my own cupcake. Ever. 

Molly's Cupcakes 
228 Bleecker St.
NYC 10014

No comments:

Post a Comment