I hate people who are not serious about their meals. -- Oscar Wilde

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Doughnut Plant Fall Flavors and Trois Pommes

Om Nomz Hero Note to Self: there is no way I can ever limit myself to just getting one doughnut

Oatmeal Donut


The Doughnut Plant is always a place that is a must stop for me regardless if I am under time constraints. Meeting up with people in 10 minutes? I got enough time to grab a doughnut…or two. The opening of their Chelsea location, I noticed that the lines at the original Lower East location have noticeably died down and a lot more tolerable. This is good that I do not have to wait so long for doughnuts, bad because I buy more doughnuts. Yes, such a horrible Catch-22, something that totally relates to the Joseph Heller novel. 

Pumpkin
I like that they have their standbys like the tres leche and jelly doughnuts but they bake seasonally and being fall, had of course a pumpkin doughnut. I picked up a raspberry and the green tea doughnut as well and the oatmeal doughnut that debuted with the opening of their Chelsea location but I have not had the chance to try it until now. 

Raspberry
I got all cake doughnuts because I just like cake doughnuts but they also offer the pumpkin yeasted as well. The pumpkin was good with hits of candied seeds on top, i would have liked a bit more pumpkin-y flavor to it though but good pumpkin fix overall. The raspberry was moist and had a weirdly electric magenta color too it that somehow matched the tartness of the raspberries. The matcha doughnut thankfully tasted better than it looked, it was a dark green, like Ninja Turtle green but the earthy grassiness of matcha came through and for those of you that like green tea, and do not want sugar bombs, this is your doughnut. The oatmeal doughnut that is now on their regular lineup was definitely not what I expected, in a good way. Oatmeal made pastries in the past usually taste gritty and paste-like and thankfully, this was not the case. The oatmeal doughnut had the warm taste of nutty, oat flavors of an oatmeal raisin cookie and had the perfect crumb, lightness and density. 

Matcha

The previous week, I went out to Trois Pommes, all the way out in Park Slope and sampled their weekend doughnuts. Trois Pommes is a neighborhood bakery just making wonderful cookies and pastries and on the weekends, they have their jelly filled doughnuts. They come in either a regular sized or mini, so I did the smart thing, I got both of them. The doughnuts are dense and chewy and have a sticky glaze on the outside. First bite is an explosion of sweet and tart raspberry jam that lazily oozes out. The mini doughnuts are like candy and addictive because you can just pop them in your mouth in one whole bite. I definitely like the mini ones, but maybe because mini things have the illusion of tasting better.

Jam filled Donuts from Trois Pommes

Doughnut Plant
379 Grand Street
New York
http://www.doughnutplant.com/

Trois Pommes
260 5th Ave # A
NY 11215-1927
http://www.troispommespatisserie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment